Gwangju City Hall has released some helpful tips on how to deal the increase in fine dust and air pollution that usually plagues the Korean peninsula in the late winter and early spring months. Please take care and ensure to protect yourself from its harmful effects.
Also do ensure that if you have been dealing with a cough that won’t go away for a prolonged period of time that you consult a doctor.
Download an air quality application to monitor daily/ hourly levels. This can also easily be accessed on your smartphone if you have the Kakao Talk application just find the # hashtag section and type in 미세먼지 and it will pull up the levels in your area.
Here are some tips from the Gwangju City Hall.
- When levels are high avoid outdoor activities especially those who are elderly, young children and those with lung problems.
- If you do venture out make sure to wear a mask that offers protection from fine dust you can find these online or check that they carry the following product numbers KF80, KF94 or KF99.
- Avoid outdoor exercise or engaging in other strenuous outdoor activities.
- Ensure to wash your hands regularly, take precautions if you wear contact lenses and also have a shower or bath after returning home.
- Drink more water and also increase your consumption of Vitamin C and fresh fruits and vegetables and ensure to wash them.
- Close all windows and also try investing in a air purifier
- Consult a doctor if you have a prolonged cough or are feeling unwell.